The Ministry of Cooperation was constituted on 6th July, 2021 with a mandate, inter alia to strengthen cooperative movement in the country & deepening its reach up to grassroots; and creation of appropriate policy, legal & institutional framework to help cooperatives realize their potential. To fulfil this mandate, the process for developing a National Cooperative Database has been initiated by the Ministry in consultation with the State/UT Governments, National Cooperative/Federations, Central line Ministries and all other Stakeholders at various levels. Keeping in view the diverse nature and size of cooperative sector, it was decided to develop the database in a phased manner The benefits of National Cooperative Database are:
- A single point access to information on about 8 lakh Cooperative Societies.
- A Comprehensive, Authentic and Updated data repository.
- Identifying gaps in terms of geographical spread of Cooperative Societies.
- Information on vertical and horizontal linkages amongst cooperatives.
- Facilitate planning, policy making & implementation for all stakeholders.